In the course of writing Make Mom Happy by Mail, I looked for resources to supplement my own ideas of ways to make Moms and Dads happy. The last 20 pages of the book are devoted exclusively to listing those resources and contain, among other things, books with senior detective heroines, instructions on how to find a local senior centers to practice ballroom dancing, and what to do to prepay a phone bill. It also contains a variety of helpful websites, many of which emphasize activities to bring joy to your senior loved ones. Ten of those websites are listed here in the hope that you will find something helpful.
- www.usa.gov/Topics/Seniors.shtm lUSA.gov for Seniors: View topics about and for senior citizens, including retirement, health, housing, taxes, and travel.
- www.nata.org/seniors/index.htm National Athletic Trainers Assoc., offers guides to exercise and training geared to seniors, even to help with physical difficulties.
- http://www.mealcall.org/links/resources.htm A detailed listing of senior resources from gift ideas to assistive devices to information on Alzheimer’s, etc.
- http://www.friendly4seniors.com Searchable database to find all sorts of info. For instance, select the “home health care” category, enter your city and state and find options available.
- http://seniors.lovetoknow.com/Fun_Activities_for_Senior_Citizens – The “love to know” website has all sorts of info including activities, estate planning, retirement living, fashion and more.
- http://Seniortransportation.easterseals.com The National Center on Senior Transportation
- www.seniormag.com is an online magazine devoted to senior issues has categories and links to various types of assistance from residential care to transport, etc., even “wisdom ‘n humor” geared to seniors.
- www.agingcare.com is dedicated to the community of caregivers. It covers practical issues like housing and also offers support for the caregivers.
- www.magickitchen.com offers prepared meals shipped nationwide. Search their site for “seniors”.
- www.seniorssite.com for all sorts of info—dietary info, Christmas gift ideas and more.
Please send me your stories so I can share them with other.
Be well and bring joy!